NOTHING FANCY, JUST A COLD HARD LIST
Feel free to share your lists in the comments.
10. Slumdog Millionaire -traditional Hollywood gangster pic/epic romance dressed up by energetic, pulse pounding filmmaking. I still liked Millions better.
9. Forgetting Sarah Marshall – In a movie with a double dip of pixie sticks in Mila Kunis and Kristen Bell, the best part was actually Russel Brand and muppet vampires.
8. Doubt – Oddly humorous and lively for a story about possible child abuse by a priest. It’s a little stagey though which keeps it from being a “great” film.
7. Iron Man – I want to be Iron Man. I would have never said that before Robert Downey jr., Gwyneth and director Jon Favreau brought these characters from the also-ran comic alive with heart and wit.
6. Role Models/Step Brothers – I couldn’t pick which was funnier. I’m leaning towards Role Models which has kids and adults both behaving badly, but Will and John are an unbeatable comic tsunami. See them both.
5. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button – Not as good as Zodiac, but Fincher’s still got it. A little too Gumpish at times perhaps but it got me. It may be too soon to know if the film has legs.
4. Gran Torino – I love the way Clint Eastwood scowls through this movie. I love the Mung culture too and his interactions with it.
3. The Wrestler – This is just a cool ass movie. This and Rachel Getting Married are very similar in that they just seem to happen, and you’re a fly on the wall to these characters. I choose this over Rachel just because I’d rather be at a wrestling match than a wedding.
2. The Fall – I bet a lot of you skipped this one. It’s very odd, very beautiful and if not for my love of the Dark Knight my favorite film of the year. The performance of the little girl is unlike any child actor I’ve ever seen before – a very good thing.
1. The Dark Knight – You know why.
Honorable Mention – Wanted (preposterous and jaded), Rachel Getting Married (Anne Hathaway owned), Snow Angels (The depressingest time of the year), Wall-E (I like Ratatouille better to be honest), Indiana Jones 4 (Flawed but oh so watachable), Speed Racer (so ambitious, this one gets the “nice try!” award) , Cloverfield (they did a lot of cool things with this gimmick), Quantum of Solace (if it hadn’t been quite so James Bourne it would have been a classic), and W. (Which was a great punchline). Oh and I almost forgot early season favorites like Definitely, Maybe (Don’t you just want to eat Isla Fisher up?) and Be Kind Rewind (Which was the film of my soul).
Inevitable Movie I missed That Someone Will Say Needs to be on this List: Synedoche New York, Man on Wire, Let the Right One In, Frost/Nixon.
Worst: Meet Dave or 10,000 BC. Both are extremely lifeless.